Thursday, February 7, 2013

Eating healthy

As a foodie I love to cook. And most of all I'm obsessed with recipes. I love cookbooks, cooking magazines & shows, and food apps.
On this journey to become healthier I'm always on the lookout for tasty vegetarian and calorie conscious recipes. I recently subscribed to Vegetarian Times and Cooking Light magazines. I experimented with Vegan Vietnamese sandwiches, chickpea curry, and today's recipe Spaghetti with Bok Choy with poached eggs.
This recipe is low cal and packed with vitamins and minerals. The bok choy is rich in vitamin A,C, and K. It also has a lot of potassium and calcium. I love this recipe because not only does it tastes good but it's also a complete meal with protein (egg), veggies, and complex carbs (wheat pasta). Also when you slice into the poached egg and mix the pasta all together it creates a rich and yummy sauce. 😋

Here is the recipe I tried from my Vegetarian Times magazine. Give it a try and you won't be disappointed.

Spaghetti with Bok Choy, Poached Egg, and Ramano cheese. (vegetarian times)
Serves 4
Per 2-cup serving (395 cal, 14g fat)

1 Tbs. olive oil
8 cups thinly sliced bok choy (about 1lb)
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
5 cloves of garlic (I used 7-garlic lovers)
1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
4 large eggs
1/2lb whole wheat spaghetti
4 green onions (I used about 6)
2oz grated Romano cheese (1/2 cup)

1) heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add bok choy, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes; sauté 8 minutes, or until vegetables turn golden. Stir in garlic, then broth. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and keep warm.
2) Bring skillet filled with 2 inches of water to boil. Crack eggs into skillet; reduce heat to low, and poach 4 minutes. (I use my handy poachpod).
3) Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Toss cooked pasta with bok choy mixture. Divide pasta among serving bowls, and top each serving with a poached egg, 2 Tbs green onions, and 2 Tbs Romano cheese. Season with salt and pepper if desired.










4 comments:

  1. Awesome! I cant wait to swap some of my fams meat based meals with some of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that recipe looks really really delicious! I've been making a lot of things with cabbage lately. I found a cole slaw recipe that Mike actually likes because it doesn't have any mayonnaise in it. It's very simple: 1/4 head green cabbage and 1/4 head red cabbage sliced thinly, 4 green onions, chopped, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. You can add a little salt to perk it up a little more, but that's basically all there is to it! Last night I made a pretty good cabbage soup with the leftover cabbage. I added minced garlic, green onion, chopped carrots, chopped zucchini, green beans, mushrooms, 1 teaspoon tomato paste, parsley, oregano, chicken stock (can also be made with vegetable stock), salt, and pepper. It came out quite yummy, and was very filling, despite it being low-cal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum those sounds yummy. Thanks Brittney!

    ReplyDelete