Friday, February 8, 2013

My mommas cooking

If any of you know my mom or had the opportunity to eat her cooking then you will understand why I posted one of her recipes.
All of my life I've always known that my mom is a great home cook. But unfortunately when I was younger and naive I didn't have the slightest interest in learning how to cook. I can remember several times growing up my mom kept trying to teach me and show me things and I could of cared less. But oh boy how funny life turns out. Trust me as an adult I'm always asking her where she got that recipe or how did she make a certain dish. Food is now one of the passions we both share and so is cooking. If I could go back in time and sit my twelve year old self down I would, but I'm learning now!

Today's recipe is a sweet pepper pasta sauce. I believe that sweet peppers are now in season because I see them in every store I'm in. One day when I was shopping I  noticed them in quite a few customer's carts. Then it occurred to me I could get my mom's recipe for her pepper sauce!
So here is her sweet pepper sauce and I can't wait to try other recipes using these peppers while they are in season and very inexpensive.



Ingredients:
1/2 red onion chopped
sliced sweet peepers chopped (about 1 cup or so)
2 garlic cloves minced  (we used 4-garlic lovers)
28oz can crushed tomatoes (San Marzano is the best)
15oz can tomato sauce
Basil (1/2 cup chiffonade stripes)
Fresh ground pepper
Salt (Kosher is best)
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes (this sauce has a kick)

1) Saute the sweet peppers in garlic oil until them start to become soft. Then add the red onion and garlic. Cook until onions become translucent. At this point I added some salt and pepper to taste.
2) Add the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce and mix with the cooked veggies.
3) Next season your sauce with the basil, salt, ground pepper, nutmeg, and chili flakes. You of course could always add more if the sauce tastes a little tart or unseasoned. I kept adding a little bit more and stirring to incorporate and kept tasting until I thought it tasted just right.

***I served this sauce over spaghetti and Vegan Italian sausage and it turned out great***

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That sauce sounds yummy! I'll have to try it. I have used your mom's Pozole recipe twice now at home, and it has come out wonderful both times! I cut the original recipe in half, and it still feeds me and Mike for 2 or 3 days! Deelicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya I love her Pozole. This sauce is really good with a little kick depending on how much chili flakes you put in it.

    ReplyDelete